Roe Deer

 I have been putting out trail cameras intermittently this month but got lucky this week with these shots of a doe roe deer.



The video is interesting because it shows the "peep" contact calls of roe deer. I am used to the short dog like alarm barks and the longer barks of the territorial bucks but this is the first time that I have recorded these more subtle noises. It is difficult to research when these are used. If you google deer calls you find a lot of reviews by hunters showing mechanical whistles etc to lure deer to the gun which is not at all what I want! I'd love to hear from anybody who knows more about it. I expect that this doe doesn't yet have young as they are not usually born until May otherwise I would suspect she was keeping in touch with her young.

Diary
I saw the first swallows of the year on 20th April earlier than last year (3rd May). The bluebells are in bloom and the first of the cowslip.






Last week I discovered the remnants of a mallard nest close to the house. All the eggs had been eaten.  Im not sure which predator - carrion crow, stoat, rat, fox, badger - take your pick!

There were a lot of bats about in the warmer weather at the beginning of the week.  Mostly pipistrelles (both types) but also one Daubenton bat near the house which is unusual.
I had the moth trap out for the first time in the year - not much but some Red Chestnut moths which I hadn't spotted before.
I also found this tawny owl showing how a fence post can be used both for mounting a camera and by an owl for perching!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A polecat a badger a fox and a stoat!

Red Kite Special

Spring Gentian